Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Jeff Duitch
E-mail:  not available
Date:  11/25/2004 9:48:00 AM
Subject:  Latest round of general questions
Message:  I hope everyone is doing well. Here's my latest round of questions:

1. My mother (despite the fact that she's a food maven and chef) is not a fan of baking challahs or breads. What she likes to do (in terms of bread for Shabbat/Yom Tov) is to buy challahs and whole breads from various local bakeries that use kosher ingredients (and pareve of course). Besides regular sized challahs, she sometimes likes to buy little rolls that are about the size of an egg. Does your father hold that there is a minimum size that the two breads that are used to make motzi on Shabbat/Yom Tov must be? Or does it not matter what size the 2 loaves are as long as each person at the Shabbat/Yom Tov meal gets a beitzah's worth? Can two little rolls be used for lechem mishneh? Can 2 uncut hamburger rolls or 2 hot dog buns be used for lechem mishneh?

2a. If I'm 100% certain (without any safek whatsoever) that a non-observant Jew prepared food on Shabbat in a way that's considered melachah (such as cooking), would I be permitted to eat this food or not after Shabbat has ended?

2b. If I'm 100% certain that a non-observant Jewish family member purchased something (whether it was for me or the whole family) on Shabbat/Yom Tov (they decided to go to the store on Shabbat/Yom Tov to buy that item), am I allowed to derive benefit from or use/eat this item in general or not?

2c. If I certain that a Jew turned on the lights in a particular room on Shabbat or Yom Tov, would it be permitted or forbidden to enter that room during Shabbat or Yom Tov? The above three questions are relevant in the fact that I'm a chozer b'teshuvah and that I still live with my parents (despite the fact that I work full-time and I'm 30).

3. If someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas", should I respond "Thanks, same to you", or do I have a chiyuv (obligation) to explain to them that I cannot and do not celebrate that holiday? (Having a yarmulke on doesn't necessarily stop some non-Jews from uttering that greeting) Of course, I'm talking about a stranger that I won't end up becoming friends with.

4. A website question: What's the final word on when the brand new kashrut.org will debut with all the inprovements, etc....

Thanks as always. Shabbat shalom and Good Shabbos to everyone.

Reply:  1) No problem

2)
   a) Yes. Permitted.

b) after Shabbat

c) No problem

3) Don't bother. Just say "Happy Holidays." or "you too."

4) Sorry. I just started again on it. I hope to get through the basic understanding of how to use it and then I'll put it up.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board