Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  SA
E-mail:  not available
Date:  11/1/2004 7:54:00 PM
Subject:  Mincha & Arbit

I know this topic has been dealt with already on this site, but I'm still
not clear on these questions:

1 = what is the halachically earliest time to pray arbit ( maariv / evening prayer ) with a minyan ?

2 = what is the halachically earliest time to pray arbit by yourself (without a minyan ) ?

3 = At my office ( in Manhattan ), mincha is at @ 4pm. Arbit follows at around 4:20pm. Should I pray with them or am I not allowed ?

4 = If I am not allowed ( because it's too early acc. to halacha ), should I still answer " barchu " before leaving ?

5 = I believe you have said in earlier posts that one cannot pray mincha & arbit between Pelag and Shekia.
a) But can one choose between praying mincha before pelag and arbit after pelag vs. praying mincha before shekia and arbit after shekia --
or do you have to stick to one of these scenarios?   b) if you must choose and stick to one, is there a preference ?

6 = I think I remember learning that it's better to pray at the proper time w/o a minyan, than not at the proper time with a minyan.
Is praying arbit with a minyan before shekia, after having prayed mincha after pelag considered a case of " not at the proper time with a minyan " ?

Thank you.

Reply:  1) After Sunset

2) 20-30 minutes after sunset (US)

3) Pray Mincha & do Arbit at home.

4) Yes

5) a) You must stick to only one way, and in the overwhelming majority of communities it is sunset Shekia).
    b) Sunset

6) "it's better to pray at the proper time w/o a minyan."

Correct

-----------------
"Is praying arbit with a minyan before shekia, after having prayed mincha after pelag considered a case of " not at the proper time with a minyan " ?"

Worse than that... It is not allowed at all.

AA

Back to the Q & A Board