Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Pinhas
E-mail:  pinhashatch@hotmail.com
Date:  10/29/2004 5:33:00 AM
Subject:  benefitting avodah zarah
Message:  Im reading back on the now much quiter isues of indian hair. It seems that with any amount of lamdus, an issue can be permitted. Not a nice picture.
Lets assume that we dont know 100% whether the women there are doing avodah zara having their hair cut by a male hindu priest at a hindu temple (of any or many hindu dieties). Safek deOrietah?
Okay lets say it isnt at all given to a hindu diety at a hindu temple cut off by a hindu priest. Its just a hindu priest cuts her hair off at a hindu temple, and sells it to the wig(sheital) market, thereby benefitting himself(hindu priest) or the temple, or both. Doesnt that lead to more discussion? People have left it there. In Tractate Avodah Zara we learn that jews refrain from monetary and material transactions with idol worshipers several days before an idolitrous festival. This so they idolitors dont use the money or material for their idols. See where Im going. I say it looks to me like idolatry, and at least, the benefit thereof, where are our heads? Oh yeah, and while I was watching one of the last episodes of the Amazing Race, two racers went to a temple in india, and it showed footage of the tables where they cut the hair, and the priests whating to cut it. The name of the idol they would give their hair to was mentioned, I didnt catch it. Hello secular show, not even jews! Off hand info.

Reply:  Their are two types of "Torah logic," that you refer to as Lomdus. One is the logic built on the extensive knowledge of most of Talmud and Rabbinical Law. The other is based only on minimal knowledge and often none at all. The former is usually clear and limited to only very few options. The job of a Qualified Posek (Rabbi) is to be certain of the option that is correct. The other more common type of Torah logic is actually just stupidity, and the less one knows, the more open are his choices. Knowledge actually limits ones options. Of course, logic like this is pure "Sheker," (false). Anyone actively involved in this type of Torah study is better off not learning at all.

I am not making this up. You can see this and much stronger wording in the Shl"ah (HaKadosh) in Shavuot. I tamed it down a bit ....
AA

Back to the Q & A Board