Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  sammy dweck
E-mail:  not available
Date:  10/16/2004 8:35:00 PM
Subject:  Chumrot/ Halacha... follow-up
Message:  "Reply: “The reason they have this OU-D policy is in order not to be abused by the chumra people who drive them crazy. …The bottom line is, when you see an OU-D, just check the ingredient panel. Don't let it bother you. If you don't eat it, you may be considered an apikores, according to the last Pischei Teshuva in Siman 116. I know that may sound a bit extreme, but maybe the reason he says that, is to make the point that there are more important things to be machmir on, (ie . Loshon Hara, Bitul Torah, Arayois, etc.) then things that are muttar L'halacha. CYA “
I just wanted to follow up this subject. I was recently learning Chulin with my son and we got to daf Kuf-Yod (110 ) II. The Sugya speaks about a person named Rami from Pumbedita who happened to arrive at Sura on Erev Yom Kippur. In Pumbedita they ate the Cow-breast but in Sura they machmired & would not ( for fear of mixing meat & milk).
Rami was caught cooking the cow-breasts discarded by the local people & tried in front of Rav Hisdah. Rami appeared in court without Tefilin or Zizit to which he answered that He is patur because He was stomach-ill and his clothing was borrowed under 30 days. Without analysing the whole sugya we see the Gemarrah chastised the people of Sura who are very machmir not to eat cow-breasts but had no feeling towards another Jew. They let a poor (had to borrow clothing) and stomach-ill person roam around in a garbage dump outside the city limits to prepare himself a meal on Erev Yom Kippur.
When we learned this, it sent a chill up my spine about how some people overlook the real big picture in Judaism by concentrating on Chumrot especially in the Kashrut field.

Reply:  very interesting - I'm going to look at the Gemara
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board