Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  dave
E-mail:  rabbidw@cs.com
Date:  10/3/2004 7:09:00 PM
Subject:  NYC WATER 4
Message:  : I don't know why you say "I will not accept any halachic authority who assurs NYC water". Either you have a Rov that you follow or not. What does it matter what any other Halachic Authority has to say. IF you follow my father for everything, then you are stuck. You questions are possibly legitimate, but your last sentence threw me off as to what your real direction is. I am not trying to demean you, but I'm confused.
CYA
I don't have 1 rov. I have a number of people that I talk Halacacha with and then, after studying the sources, make my own decisions. I don't shop for either koolahs or chumrahs, I look for Emes, and take responsibility for my own conclusions. For example, I am a midget who cannot possibly argue with Rav Moshe, but I can, after studying the teshuvot, decide that Rav Henkin appears to me to have the better of the argument regarding Conservative and Reform weddings, and only use Rav Moshe's koolah b'shaas hadechak. Now if I was a Baal Teshuvah, I would agree that the most convenient thing would be to have 1 Rov to answer all questions, but it would seem to me that the objective should be to reach a stage where a person can deal with the sources and make an intelligent determination between conflicting authorities. DW

Reply:  Ashrecha that you reached that level, I hope to reach it one day, too.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board