Q & A Board - View Post
Author:  Stuart
E-mail:  stu_welk@hotmail.com
Date:  9/6/2004 9:47:00 AM
Subject:  Tzedaka Swapping: Halacha vs. IRS
Message:  In a recent post you replied:

You can give your Tzedaka to a cause that your friend wants to give to and your friend should give to your school. Then it does work.

It may be a good idea to clarify that while this may satisfy the mitzva of tzedaka, the IRS will take a much different view of it, and, despite that it is "sometimes" done, you may be putting the Yeshiva/shul/etc. in jeopardy.

Not to mention the embarrasment to the entire Jewish community when newspapers gleefully print stories of such organizations that help orchestrate/facilitate such schemes.

I'm sure that you only meant to give halachic advice and not tax/legal advice.


Reply:  Certainly you should not claim tuition as Charity. That is a separate act that you might do when filing your taxes. That is not allowed by US Tax laws.

Back to the Q & A Board