Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Renee
E-mail:  not available
Date:  9/1/2004 5:10:00 PM
Subject:  Sashimi
Message:  All of us middle class folks down here out of town have been making our own sushi ever since the craze hit the fashionable of NY's kosher consumers (almost 20 years now).

Actually it is not hard and quite inexpensive to make your own sushi.

Make sure that the fish you buy is from a top notch fish market, a gourmet market or Whole Foods. Tell them you are making sushi. They will be honest with you (they don't want you to get sick and blame them).

"Sushi grade" tuna and salmon are generally frozen for at least two weeks. This I am told kills any questionable bacteria. Most fish markets sell "sushi grade".

As far as I know vinegar will not kill bacteria. Creviche is a raw fish that is soaked in lemon/lime juice or vinegar which "cooks" it. It is important the the freshest fish (no more than 1 day old) be used for this dish as well.

Lower grade fish markets soak their smelly fish in Clorox (yes this is true).

I don't have to tell you that all work surfaces should be thoroughly scrubbed and knives should be cleaned with bleach.

You can safely and enjoyably make your own sushi for about 60 cents a piece. If you really do not have a source of very fresh fish locally, try using wild caught naturally smoked Salmon instead. Its not really sushi, but its good.

Reply:  Thanks for the info!
AA

Back to the Q & A Board