Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  sammy dweck
E-mail:  dweck2@walla.co.il
Date:  8/25/2004 9:54:00 AM
Subject:  Yeshivesh ...
Message: What happened to us. It seems that the "yeshiva Oriented" community is increasingly trying to "appear" more religious and stringent, but in fact we are probably less so than before. We have totally mixed up the "Ikkar and the Tofel".
STORY; Since I did not come from a Black Hat family, it did not dawn on me that everyone in the class was going to be wearing their hats at a Bar-Mitzvah. When the rest of the kids saw that I did not have my hat, they took off theirs so I should not be embarrased.
The next day, our Rebbe praised the class for their sensitivity, and said they understand the difference between Ikkar and Tofel. This is normalcy. This is Chinuch. This is the way it used to be. This is the way it should be! What happened to us.
To quote an Adam Gadol " If it's Torah - then it's normal. If it is not normal - then it can't be Torah!
Reply: Thanx for sharing that
"

It's what used to be called "Derech Eretz Kadma Torah" !

Reply:  And thanks for sharing your story. I'm happy to hear that amid all this craziness you had a Rebbi and classmates that could think straight. Kol HaKavod!
AA

Back to the Q & A Board