Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  einaiyisroel
E-mail:  not available
Date:  8/22/2004 9:42:00 PM
Subject:  sefardim-ashkenazim
Message:  why does cya feel that he has to make statements that create an anti-ashkenaz tone to prove that he's as sefardi as the best of them? To say that they have their Rabbis and we have ours, or to call the requirement to have Hashgacha on Pesach an ashkenaz-hashgacha smacks of anti-ashkenaz connotations.
It is well known that your Father's Rabbiis were all Ashkenaz. The Chazon Ish,Rav A.Kotler and Rav Moshe Feinstein among others. In fact who are the Sefardic Rabbis that you say good sefardim should follow? I dont know of any that your father follows{unless, of course, you mean the Bet Yosef-but you were talking of now,not historically} And since when did your father hold that if for example in a machlokes between Rav Moshe and Rav Ovadia Yosef a good Sefardi should follow Rav Ovadia. Why? if they are both arguing in the shita of the Bet yosef, why should a sefardi follow Rav Ovadia just because he was born in the middle east? Your father in all his Teshubot never did. Rather he went according to his sechel hayasher and his knowledge of Shas and Poskim and never made a distinction between sefardim and ashkenazim.
I realize that you were defending your position as a valid Sefardi but its not instructive to pander to their juvenile prejudices.

Reply:  I have no idea what you are referring to. What was anti-Ashkenaz. Everyone agrees that there are cases when Sephardim follow the Bet Yosef and Ashkenazim follow the Rama, even in my father's sefer. However there are Sephardic Rabbis who will follow the Rama when he is Machmir on what the Bet Yosef said. There are good reasons for these chumrot, but not for people who are not following complete Mitzvot. If the person wants to be machmir, so be it. But, it needs to be his decision to be machmir, not the Rabbi's.
The problem with saying only buy things with a Hashgacha for Passover, is not fair to Sephardim, because there are no Hashgachot on Kitniyot. Nothing to do wih anti-Ashkenaz.
I don't think I said we follow Sephardim Rabbis because they are Sephard. Most of the people asking my father questions are Ashkenaz.
Please reread what I wrote and if you still feel the same, please tell me why.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board