Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  David
E-mail:  dglassman@sympatico.ca
Date:  8/5/2004 12:49:00 AM
Subject:  "bacon bagels"
Thank you for your concise reply.
Concerning my question #1 and your reply.
What is meant by "bacon bagels" is a bagel which contains bits of bacon (or other issurim). Since the famous Montreal bagel calls for it to be boiled prior to going in the oven, my question aims to clarify whether you would be matir a regular bagel which went through the boiling process in a pot which had "bacon bagels" boiled in it prior to the regular bagel. The water is not chnged between.

As far as I know, we are not at war here in Canada.

David.

Author: David
E-mail: not available
Date: 7/30/2004 12:47:31 AM
Subject: bagels and other breads
1) Not sure if u know that bagels in Montreal (supposedly famous) are prepared by being being placed in a basin of boiling water for a few seconds just prior to going in the oven.
Based on this, I would assume that a bagel bakery here in Montreal that offers "bacon bagels" and other such fancy stuff, would not be OK to get your regular sesame seeds bagels from.
Is this a correct assumption?

2) Non kosher certified, non-Jewish owned bakery. Bakes only traditional french bread (flour, water, salt, yeast). However, some of its bread features ham or bacon and other such issurim. I know that the basic bread is not baked within a bread mold, but I am not sure they don't use some sort of non-stick base to put the bread on while it's in the oven. I also don't know whether they cook the fougasse (contains bacon) at the same time in the same oven as the basic bread. I also can't vouch for the cleanliness of their counters, kelim, and ovens. Is buying basic bread (flour, water, salt, yeast) from such a place mutar?

3) Do dried raisins require kosher certification?

4) Does honey require kosher certification?

Reply: 1) What is a "bacon bagel?" If we were at war there are opinions that would allow us to eat Bacon Bagels themselves. Yehoshua when he went into Eretz Yisrael to capture it, he ate what he wanted from the non-Jews refrigerators or wherever they kept their beef jerky. Even pork.

2) Yes

3) No

4) No
AA

Reply:  Certainly you cannot taste bacon in your garlic bagel. Am I correct in assuming that? Maybe in Montreal it's different.

No war in Canada, aye?
AA

Back to the Q & A Board