Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Shabsie
E-mail:  not available
Date:  7/18/2004 10:33:00 AM
Subject:  Jewish Superiority

Here is an except from an article that is VERY PERPLEXING. Either we are superior to the Goyim, or we are not. Yet Rabbi Kotler waffles on this question (when money is concerned). Please enlighten us ... we need enlightenment.

Thank you in advance .. and please read on.
Charedi Rabbis Rush To Disavow Anti-Gentile Book

By ALLAN NADLER

Leaders of the country's most prominent ultra-Orthodox yeshiva are scrambling to distance themselves from a book by one of their disciples, which argues that gentiles are "completely evil" and Jews constitute a separate, genetically superior species.

Written by Rabbi Saadya Grama - an alumnus of Beth Medrash Govoha, the renowned yeshiva in Lakewood, N.J. - the self-published book attempts to employ classical Jewish sources in defense of a race-based theory of Jewish supremacy. Grama's book, published in Hebrew under the title "Romemut Yisrael Ufarashat Hagalut," includes flowery endorsements from the most revered religious scholars at the renowned Lakewood yeshiva, including the institution's foremost religious leader, or rosh yeshiva, Rabbi Aryeh Malkiel Kotler.

Yet, in a statement issued Tuesday in response to queries from the Forward, Kotler rejected Grama's philosophy and said that he had not carefully reviewed the text prior to endorsing it.

"We have seen the objectionable statements that allegedly appear in a sefer [book] written by Rabbi Grama, a former student at our yeshivah," wrote Kotler, whose late grandfather Rabbi Aharon Kotler founded the Lakewood yeshiva. "I did glance briefly at the book but did not read it carefully - which is the general practice in providing approbations to the many books by alumni that come across a desk like mine."

In his rare statement to the press, Kotler added: "In looking at the specific points allegedly contained in the sefer, I can certainly tell you that they are not reflective of normative Jewish thought and are certainly not the philosophy of our yeshivah. Our philosophy asserts that every human being is created in the image of the Lord and the primacy of integrity and honesty in all dealings without exception. I strongly repudiate any assertions in the name of Judaism that do not represent and reflect this philosophy."

The statement Tuesday struck a dramatically different chord from Kotler's earlier endorsement of the book, in which he said Grama has written "on the subjects of the Exile, the Election of Israel and her exaltation above and superiority to all of the other nations, all in accordance with the viewpoint of the Torah, based on the solid instruction he has received from his teachers."

Kotler's disavowal of the book on Tuesday came at the end of an intense, day-long scramble during which the Anti-Defamation League and the chancellor of Yeshiva University condemned the book, and several ultra-Orthodox communal spokesmen tried to convince the Forward not to report its existence. During the course of the day, a popular bookstore in the heavily Orthodox Boro Park section of Brooklyn told the Forward that it had just pulled the book off of the tables at the author's request.

The controversy over Grama's book comes as the yeshiva is close to securing $500,000 in federal funds for a Holocaust library (see accompanying story on Page 4).

Reply:  This is old news with new names. It is no different than your local newspaper.
Don't forget what Rav Noach Weinberg said, "Never judge the Jewish Religion by the Jews". We all make mistakes. The bigger we are, the bigger the mistake. We need to always ask a Rov our questions. We can assume that Rav Malkiel Kotler asks his Rov also.
Please, don't ask me who that is, because I have no idea.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board