Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Samuel
E-mail:  sam@nosite.com
Date:  6/25/2004 2:12:00 PM
Subject:  Manager's nisayon
Message:  Thank you so much for your website. It has helped me and my family make this transition back to the real Judaism (from the fake reform movement.
I am a recent Baal Teshuva and I have managed alot of people for a long time. Now that I am frum, I find it very hard being in this position. I know from the past what can happen and I am at a loss how to deal with the same people differently. Do you have any rules of thumb for me to use.
Thank you!

Reply:  First of all, welcome back to the real thing. I must say, your situation is a tough one, but not unique. Here are a few of the things my father tells people sometimes.
1. Never lock your office door
2. Always have interior windows on your office.
3. Do not shake hands with women. Try handing a business card to the person's outstretched hand, as you are explaining why you do not shake. "I'm sorry, but for religous reasons we don't shake. That will lessen the uncomfortable feelings.
4. If you can, get into the habit of wearing your yarmulka as much as possible. If not at work, at least outside, so you will not get in a tough situation out of the office.
5. If you can, get into the habit of wearing your Tzitzis out, as much as possible. (this not a requirement but a good idea for this situation).
6. If you have to daven in your office, don't close the window shades. Let them see you are a religious person for real.
Every person knows their unique situation and what would or would not work. Remember, Hashem gives you parnassa, not your boss, so listen to Him first. You will probably have an easier time with a Gentile or a frum Jew.
Hatzlacha
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board