Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  JJ
E-mail:  not available
Date:  6/23/2004 10:09:00 AM
Subject:  woman and tefilahhh
Message:  Message:        the mishnah berurah says that woman have never accepted upon themselves to daven 3 times a day only mincha and shacharit they are obligated to daven? so is the point AA is trying to make is that instead of woman saying tehillim they should daven maariv, but why is maariv more important than saying tehillim.

Reply:      You didn't read that too carefully. They did not accept it like men to become a "Chovah," but rather it remains a Reshut, like it was for men originally. We spoke about this before. Reshut means that if there is another Mitzvah or she already began to get undressed, she does not need to Pray Maariv/Arbit. Otherwise, she must pray. Look at the Tosfot in the beginning of the 4th Perek in Berachot.
AA

right i did misread the mishnah berurah over there, but i think that is only referring to men because later on in that same mishnah berurah it says that although men have made arvit (taken upon themselves) as a chovah woman did not tkae this obligation of arvit and that most woman dont say arvit because they did not accpet it upon themsleves. Which seems to imply that they dont even have arvit as a reshut. maybe i am misreading it again but that is what it seems. so it seems the mishnah berurah hold that woman do not have to daven maariv.

Reply:  He said that "they don't," he was not saying that they don't have to. If they have the same requirement to pray as men do, then how could he say that they don't need to pray Maariv/Arbit. He still must stick to the Gemara and Shulchan Aruch.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board