Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Josh
E-mail:  not available
Date:  5/23/2004 3:54:00 PM
Subject:  Minhagim
Message:  Lately, you have repeatedly mentioned the idea that one should follow the minhagim of whatever Rav one is committed to as a posek.

This may be a new ruling from your father, inasmuch as I don't recall hearing this in the past.

I am wondering - if someone is Ashkenazi and their Rav is Sephardi or vice versa, would this idea still apply. In other words, if Ashkenazim, for example, had a Sephardic Rav as their posek, would they be permitted to eat kitniyot, etc.?

Also, if you have the time, could you explain the reason for this pesak? I always thought that minhagim followed one's father/community, so this notion is new to me.

Reply:  True. And a bit controversial, or potentially so.

Applies either way....

A person should follow his Rav. If his Rav is from a different community, he should stick to those customs. Imagine if years ago when a Rav was always local and a person would move to another place. He would follow the Rav in the other place and begin a new set of customs. It's not that simple, since the mixup of customs and the new globalization of the world complicates these concepts.
But that is the deal.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board