Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Jeff Duitch
E-mail:  not available
Date:  5/14/2004 6:29:00 PM
Subject:  Please clarify on Shabbat candles
Message:  In CYA's/Chaim's response to JJ"s Shabbat candles post, I was very confsued on something he said. Here's the post I'm talking about:

------------------------------------------------------
Author: JJ
E-mail: not available
Date: 5/14/2004 7:19:53 AM
Subject: Shabbat Candles
Message: How does your mother light Shabbat candles and say a berakhah? Haven't you told us that this is a berakhah levatalah since there is already light from the electricity?

Reply: She turns off the light, makes the Beracha (Ashkenazim make Bracha 2nd), then turns on the light and lights the candles.
The berakhah levatalah issue is only relevant on Yom Tov, because you cannot turn off the light.
CYA
---------------------------------------------------
The line I'm really confused on is "The berakhah levatalah issue is only relevant on Yom Tov, because you cannot turn off the light". Aaron/AA has said on this forum quite a few times that according to Rabbi Abadi:

a. When Yom Tov (except Yom Kippur) is not on Shabbos, one is permitted to turn off the lights and oven, BUT NOT ON (since we could have done it before Yom Tov).

b. It's forbidden to light any candles or say the relevant beracha for this on the second night of Yom Tov (or when Yom Tov immediately follows Shabbos) since there isn't a need with the electric lighting on.

So with the above things I've learned, I'm wondering how come CYA said ".....because you cannot turn off the light"?   Please clarify. Thanks very much. Good Shabbos/Shabbat shalom or shavua tov depending on when you read this.

Reply:  If you are lighting candles with the lights on, you are making a berakhah levatalah. Are you suggesting to turn the lights off then on for the bracha???
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board