Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  anony
E-mail:  not available
Date:  2/23/2004 1:25:00 AM
Subject:  shema
1. if i did not pray arbit that night (i'm a girl i know i'm supposed to but...) do i then say by kriat shema al hamita the whole shema as opposed to only the first blessing?
2.also, I have a seriously hard time praying at night. Either i just forget and then remember when i'm already in pj's under my covers- you get the picture....or i just plain and simple i rem but i'm not in the mood too tired etc... Can you tell me something special about the prayer of arbit.
(of course when i do say it which i make a point to do it once a week (at least) it can be an amazing time to get close to G-d) but can you tell me something more that will motivate me to do it more often?
thank you!     

Reply:  1) You can, but girls are really mainly required to say the Amida/Shemonah Esrey.
2) If you are in Pj's, you don't have to say it. Arbit is not as strict as the other two. All prayers are important, but don't be too hard on yourself. Try your best. Try saying it a half hour after sunset, before you get tired.
Arbit is a good time to quietly reflect on your day and connect with God. When you do that and then say "Selach Lanu," forgive us, then you have just wiped your slate clean.

AA

Back to the Q & A Board