Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Ehud
E-mail:  not available
Date:  2/18/2004 12:33:00 PM
Subject:  RE: Kedusha & the Cantor
Message:  In his question regarding the grammar of kedusha and, specifically, why sefaradim say "na'aritzach ve'naqdishach" the poster assumes that these verbs are in the feminine form. Unfortunately, many yeshivot fail to teach even the most basic grammar - both in Hebrew as well as in Aramaic. My yeshiva was no different, but I think I am correct in stating that the suffix of a kaf with a sheva nach (as in "naqdishACH") is simply the male form in Aramaic and translates as: "we will sanctify you (male, singular)". Indeed the word "lach" in Hebrew means "for you (female, singular)." But in Aramaic "Lach" means "for you (MALE, singular)."

So, to answer the original poster, the kedusha is indeed in the male form throughout.

If it were in the female form it would read (I think, and please correct me if I'm wrong) "Na'aritzich ve'naqdishich."

Reply:  THe Kedusha is in Hebrew.

God is referred to at times in male & at times in female wording. There is no male or female God. The way we refer to God is in his connection to us. For example, Elokim refers to when God is in judgment mode. Chanun Verachum, when God is merciful. Hatzur, the "rock," who gives us strength. And so on....

The same concept is with the male and female. Depending on the wording and it's usage, that's how it is determined.

AA

Back to the Q & A Board