Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Unk
E-mail:  ajk@neg.com
Date:  1/21/2004 10:46:00 AM
Subject:  Stove on Yom Tov
Message:  It is virtually impossible today to purchase a stove that doesn’t have electronic ignition, which, as Reuven writes, becomes problematic on Yom Tov.

A quick and dirty way of making the stove useable on Yom Tov is to simply disconnect the electric plug from the wall. This will, of course, disable the electronic ignition and allow the burners to be lit from a preexisting flame.

Unfortunately, this method will also disconnect the clock and other memory features that will have to be reset after Yom Tov. Also, it requires pulling the stove out of its niche so it can be disconnected and reconnected.

A more elegant solution is to break the ignition circuit and install a switch to turn the ignition on and off as desired. I have performed this modification on both of my stoves and it makes Yom Tov operation easy and does not affect the clock or other memory features. It does, however, require the modifier to:

1.     Be able to read electric schematic and wiring diagrams. (These are provided with the stove)

2.     Possess tools and materials to perform the modification.

3.     Drill a hole for the switch in his new stove.

If you don’t want to tackle this yourself, ask the stove salesman to recommend an electrician.

Reply:  First of all disconnecting the electric plug will also disconnect the oven's electronic ignition.
Your idea of bypassing is good idea. I wonder what it would do to the warranty.
Thanx
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board