Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  martin
E-mail:  not available
Date:  12/29/2003 6:00:00 PM
Subject:  tehillim
help, I am being attacked for mentioning to people that you are not allowed to say tehillim for sick people. I can't seem to find the mkors you've sighted (countless times) under a search TEHILLIM. (were they deleted?)
as always thanks for your time

Reply:  2/9/2003 5:12:40 PM
Look at the Vilna Gaon's sefer "Maaseh Rav. In ten different places it discusses this. There are many problems with this. My personal favorite is the fact that 85% of the people just finished saying a few thousand Pesukim, and hundreds of different Berachot & Tefilot, without having any Kavana whatsoever, and now to give God just that little bit of extra pleasure, we're gonna say a few Kapitlach tehilim....

Look at this one….
12/4/2003 4:40:15 PM
Subject: Tehillim II

11/26/2003 1:23:40 PM
Subject        tehillim
Where is the gemara that says you can not say tehillim for cholim (sick ppl)? and what is the reason for it being assur?
Thanx.

Shavuot 15B & TuSh"A Y"D #179
Tehillim is Pesukim of Tana"ch, it is not Tefilot (prayers) for you to say. There are Tefilot that we were given to say three times a day. Spend your energies working on them; understanding them, concentrating on what you are saying as you are saying it, and of course making sure that you are 100% following all the rules properly. If you are not, how can you expect to be listened to.

Sadly, I'm certain that many people who were sick got negative reactions from the Tehillim said, and from the "Mi Shebeirachs" said while the whole Shul is talking. A person who is sick should prefer not to be included in the average shul's "Mi Shebeirach."
AA

Author   sara
11/25/2003 2:08:30 PM
Subject: Tehillim
I was asked twice this year to participate in a group who splits the perakim in tehillim for 40 days straight. They must be said before sunset and if someone forgets the whole group has to start all over. Is there any source for the 40 days? Most participants really want to help but have hectic schedules and end up mumbling the words. Any suggestions for something that would really be a zechus for the sick person?

Reply:

The Tehillim thing often ends up being more of a sin than a Mitzvah.
The Vilna Gaon says that the Yetzer Harah likes to talk you into doing a Mitzvah and then he wraps it with sins. (Megilat Rut; when Rut insisted on staying with Naomi)
The Tehillim cannot be said for sick people. It's a Gemara & in Shulchan Aruch.
Many women say Tehillim, but don't Daven (pray). How absurd?!
The social aspect of Tehillim parties often causes people to get insulted because they were not invited.
Blabbering words without any meaning, is not very helpful. Say just a few Pesukim, and translate them to yourself.
"Hands across America" was not from the Torah. This new concept of multiple Tehillim, learning, Siyumim, and the like, just commercializes the religion. It does not often enhance it. It turns it into a game. Everyone across the globe are all going to be listening to this speech at the same time.... Come on! That's not the solution.
If you want to help people who are sick, pray for them during your regular daily prayers. Don't mumbo jumbo your prayers & then add Tehillim to mumbo jumbo through, again. Why can't we think about what we do? Why is it just some sort of robotic existence?
So, in response to your question; Start to Pray just the Amida/Shemonah Esrey three times a day, and drop the Tehillim until you have that on a solid routine.
AA

My biggest concern of all the above, is the Mumbo-Jumbo of the prayers, and the Tehillim said during the Prayer-time (Pesukei DeZimrah), yet we need to add to that?!
AA

Back to the Q & A Board