Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Robert Salame
E-mail:  RSalame1@gmail.com
Date:  4/9/2014 3:35:00 PM
Subject:  Credit Card On Shabbat

Thank you for the quick response! I may not have been clear in my previous question (posted below).

Can I use (and provide) a credit card (visa, mastercard, etc.) on shabbat? The logic being, it acts in the same way a hotel's charge card would.

Thank you.
Robert Salame

_________

Dear Rabbi Abadi,

I am a bit confused about a response you provided to a question (posted below) regarding use of a credit card on Shabbat. It seems like the answer you provided is: credit cards are allowed on Shabbat so long as one does not sign for it. But you also say a credit card is muktzah.   How could a credit card be muktzah but be allowed to be used? Am I misreading the question and answer?

Thank you.
Robert

_______

Dear Rabbi Abadi,

In previous posts it was mentioned that a person could charge food and drinks to a hotel room and pay for it later. Could I assume that it's okay to charge on a credit card, if I don't sign anything?

Respectfully,

Simon

Reply:      Yup
Credit Card itself is Muktzah.
AA

Reply:      let me help you with that. when you are in a hotel they usually have your credit card on file. you are allowed to say i am in room 342 and you know they will charge to your room. what they do to record the info is their business.
YA

Reply:  next time ask the question directly. i knew your intention as well. let's leave that question for after the holiday-and i believe the answer is no BTW.
YA

Back to the Q & A Board