Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Shimon
E-mail:  e@shimon.me
Date:  8/14/2011 12:06:00 PM
Subject:  Heads up: An Israeli supermarket chain...
Message:  Heads up: An Israeli supermarket chain is about to start sourcing kosher bread from China. They have sent religious Israelis to a factory near Shanghai to separate challah and place the bread into the ovens. The factory is also supplying some Western supermarket chains in China. The bread will not be marked as kosher in China but inadvertently many wealthy Chinese will also be soon eating kosher bread lechumrah.

While there is almost nothing so special about a factory baking kosher bread and many factories may already without selling to the kosher market. What is interesting that it is economical to ship bread 5,000 miles than to produce it locally by machine.

This is a good thing if it allows the Israeli economy to move to more profitable businesses. It is needless to say that if the bread is being shipped 5,000 miles by sea it is not such high quality bread nor can it ever be without technological breakthroughs. In my opinion, it seems like they are only interested in competing against the breads that the Israeli government subsidises and therefore may reduce the government's liabilities.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this project. I merely heard about this from a friend in China.

Reply:  I wonder which preservatives they are using.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board