Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Jeff Duitch
E-mail:  not available
Date:  11/12/2003 10:16:00 PM
Subject:  Comment and some questions
Message:  Hope everyone in the mishpacha is doing well.   Before I ask my latest round of questions, I do have a comment on that a question someone asked.

As we all know, it's come to the point where not only does most of the frum establishment insist on every food item having a hechsher other than water and fresh fruits, but they'll say to stay away from certain hashgachas such as Triangle K, half moon K, and as much as over half of the 400+ hashgachas. I've been trying to figure out over the last few years just why the frum establishment insists that people not accept certain hashgachas (except for "emergencies") and no one would say why.

About the only source that would even come close to telling me why (which I found out about 2 years ago) is the website for a shul a friend in Chicago belongs to. http://www.asbi.org In the "kashrut" section of this shul's website, the pulpit rabbi there explains why certain hashgachas are "not good". Instead of me talk about what was said, I'd suggest looking at this website in question. But in summary, he says things like:

A. The Orthodox community of today has chosen not to accept certain "leniencies" or "assumptions" in halachah.

B. And this pulpit rabbi in question also "whines" about how we need to follow the standards that the overall frum community of the country we live in accepts. He also pleads that a hashgacha has to keep up with "what's accepted today, not what was accepted 30 or 40 years ago".

You can take a look at that website to see what I mean. But, I really don't care what the majority of the frum establishment says. I follow one qualified posek for everything no matter what various pulpit rabbis who aren't poskim think. Since Rabbi Abadi is my qualified posek (and has been for the last 7 months), I will follow whatever he says be it lenient or strict.

Now why is it that today's frum establishment insists on going by what the majority of the frum world accepts rather than getting people to find a qualified posek who is guided by many years of studying true halachah rather than worrrying about politics or pressure?

Now for another round of shailos:

1. Concerning negiah for little kids, up until what age level little girls is a man allowed to touch? Up until what age level little boys is a woman allowed to touch?

2. In the Ohr Yitzchak shiur that rabbi I learn with and I have, one of the things we went over this week was shailos your father was asked on saying Kel Melech Ne'eman right before shema when davening without a minyan. We discovered that your father says that you shouldn't say Kel Melech Ne'eman if you're saying Hashem Elokeichem Emes. The rabbi I learn with has a difficult time understanding why your father paskens not to say Kel Melech Ne'eman. What do you suggest I tell and clarify with this rabbi when we do our Ohr Yitzchak shiur next week about why your father says not to say Kel Melech Ne'eman?

3. How soon do you think the halachos for things like the true hilchos concerning loshon hora, tznius, negiah, and various other issues will be put on the website?

4. What's the news on this internet learning opportunity (instead of reinstituting that radio show you and Yitz Adler did)? I would love to participate in this internet learning program you were talking about a while back. Please keep me posted.

Thanks as always for everything.

Jeff

Reply:  1) A boy till nine and a girl till 6 or 7.

2) It's pretty clear inside. Let him look it up.

3) Many are almost done. After Pesach we'll get into it heavily.

4) Same.

AA

Back to the Q & A Board