Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  David
E-mail:  not available
Date:  10/4/2003 11:03:00 PM
Subject:  Israel & Zionism

I have read with interest the responses to my email regarding Israel, and I thank you for your enlightening comments regarding this issue. Please know that it is my intent to better understand how and why many of our brothers and sisters have adapted modern Zionism as an integral (if not the most integral part) of their hashgafa.

For the record, I want you to know that I am not a Chasidic Jew living cloistered in some Brooklyn enclave, not having any concept of what happens in the world. In fact, I am a Jew who was born into a secular family in NY, and lived a secular life until I was almost thirty years old. When I discovered the truth of Torah, thanks to several very special people who introduced me to who I was and what Hashem expected of me, I spent much time learning about many of the observant Torah world's varied groups, looking in from the "outside", without the baggage many FFB yidden have that easily colour their outlooks on other hashgafas. The more I learned, the more it seemed to me that modern Zionism was not a part of what I was learning was emes. I am, as previously stated, puzzled and disappointed at this derech which passes itself off as Torah. I simply want to understand why so many Jews are being misled into believing in it.

I, too, wish to be in Eretz Yisrael. I feel, sadly, that the time is not yet ripe for us to return. Though I do appreciate the efforts of those Torah-true Jews who live there, it is pains me to no end that they are fighting tooth and nail for the ability to observe without hindrance from government, and more so, the majority of unobservant Jews, many violently anti-religious. What will be? Anf how can I make peace with myself and my fellows knowing so many are out there practically praying to a blue and white flag?

I certainly didn't mean to create machlokes on the website,
but having said that, I am pleased to have learned from your incites and responses.

Have a sweet new year.

Sincerely,
Dovid

Reply:  I think that it was great that you said what you said, it opened up discussions in many places. We keep brushing it under the rug. We keep ignoring the fact that being observant includes and is limited to following the Torah, the written and the unwritten (now much of it is written). All other "commandments" are unacceptable and worse, as written by the Chovot Halvavot. Because if it is a religious law, and it's not from God, why and for whom are you doing it? It's easier to be a BT and see these things as untrue, but if an FFB is not also a BT, then he can only go downhill. We all need to take a step back and keep checking and re-checking the sources and motivations of our actions. Zionism is not new. We are all zionists. We pray 3 times a day to bring us back home. But it can only be limited to the exact specifications in our Halachah (Jewish Law). The dream that we can take our land back by force, and thus bring Moshiach, is false, and counter-productive. We can bring Moshiach by our actions; by studying Torah properly, by repenting our sins and working hard to avoid them in the future, by commiting to keep the laws, by working on our character, including humility, anger management, honesty in business, and especially avoiding arrogance. Without guns and without bombs we can bring Moshiach, take back our land, and bring everybody home. The current system in Israel is hurting us more than it is helping us.
Thanks for your input.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board