Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Levy Zerem
E-mail:  karyntova@yahoo.com
Date:  9/3/2003 11:29:00 PM
Subject:  Beliefs and halachah
Message:  Dear Rabbi, I wanted to ask a sheilah that is of the utmost importance to me. It concerns what do we as jews have to believe. Does the legal system address this issue. Are the Rambam's Iykarim part of the legal system. WHat are the rules when it comes to these things. How much flrxibility is there.
A Chasid once rtold me that I am an absolutr goy for not holding like the besht concerning hashgacah pratit. The Rambam has a unique view in the matter, nevertheless , anyone who doesn't hold by the maximilist view of hashgacha is a goy.
I do not know what it means to believe. If you were to suddenly tell me that in order to be a good jew i need to believe that God created the world in 6 days? And if i don't believe that what am i to do?
Some friends of mine do not believe in Torah min Shamim. The are educated and keep the laws the best they can. Is that view out of bounds?

Reply:  I just answered this to some extent. See below.
But one who does not believe in Torah coming from God is an Apikores. Look at the Kovetz Maamarim of Rav Elchonon Wasserman. It'll be worth your time. It's the first Chapter. All about this exact question.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board