Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Shabtai Schnearson
E-mail:  not available
Date:  9/3/2003 1:04:00 AM
Subject:  Moshiach
Message:  As I am extremely fond of doing from time to time, I was browsing through your website, and I came across this post by "Baruch":

I see that you criticize many of the chumrot that are now common in the Jewish community. But isn't there a good side to this? I was taught that we can help bring Moshiach by adopting more chumrot.

Reply:
could it be that you were lied to?
By the way, I have this bridge for sale in Brooklyn, and it's an antique.
Don't forget, many say Moshiach already came.....
AA

I'm sorry to say I still have not been able to perfect the skill of telling whether you are being serious or sarcastic. Are there really those who say that moshiach already came? If so, could you please tell me where I can find the sources.

Thanks

Reply:  There is now, and has been always people that say that they are Moshiach (the Messiah). We have some in our generation, too. We have a whole group in Crown Heights. No, they are not Moshiach. The Rambam says it very clearly. You'll know when it is really Moshiach. When a man comes, a god-fearing man, and he is king, and he fights wars and wins, and he rebuilds our Temple in Jerusalem, he's the one. As simple as that. All others are imposters, charlatans, and fakes. All these different things that we do in the name of religion, that are not a part of the religion, they're shortcuts. Ways to avoid going through with the whole job. It ain't easy following the rules to the letter. So we get that spiritual high in other ways. Think about it a little & you'll see what I'm saying. Chasidus is just that. Learning Kabalah before it is allowed, gets you a quick high. Praying with such wonderful sounds and moves makes you so holy that you are above time, and you don't need to worry about the proper time to pray. The same is with Moshiach. If he's here or if he's certainly coming tomorrow, I need to get ready. Lots of dancing to be done. Certainly it's not a time to work at your job that you were given by being placed on this earth. Think about it.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board