Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Gus Eggson
E-mail:  not available
Date:  8/25/2003 11:28:00 AM
Subject:  Shabbat

I have some close buddies that are not jewish, and I was wondering if I can hang out with them on Shabbat. Assuming they pick me up in a car (I won't have to open the door, they will open it for me) and they pay for everything we do. For example, this friday night they want to go clubbing and I really want to go. Am I permitted?

Thanks Rabbi!

Reply:  Not on Shabbat, & not during the week. I assume that you are barely keeping the Mitzvot. Take a long look at your future. You'll go ten more years like this, you'll find your life empty. You'll realize that you've wasted it going in the wrong direction, ignoring your soul, ignoring that question, "Why am I here?" At that point you'll have two options; turn to drugs, which you've already experimented with, or do Teshuva (repentance) and start looking to fix the mess you created. At that time, the mess might look like the Twin Towers pile of rubble. It's a lot of work to get through that. Start working now on thinking about what you really want, what your Neshama (soul) wants, and save all that pain.
Good luck!
AA

Back to the Q & A Board