Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Gordon Shmuel
E-mail:  fake@gardener.com
Date:  8/8/2003 5:46:00 PM
Subject:  Cpoyright followup
Message:  I know that you wanted me to drop the subject, but i feel that if we are pursuing the true will of the Almighty then no amount of effort is too much. I'm sure you agree.
I am still unclear how you address the issue i raise - while i understand that the law of the land is relevent, i believe that it goes beyond that. Even if the law of the land may permit photocopying in spite of the author having put a copyright on the 'book', there exists another issue that must be dealt with, namely that the purchaser never bought the right to photocopy it (because the vendor never sold it, as they write, and i quote from an artscroll in front of me "no part of this book may be reproduced in any form - photocopy, or otherwise - even for personal use without written permission from the copyright holder, except by a reviewer who wishes to quote brief passages in connection with a review written for inclusion in magazines or newspapers." see my earlier question for how i believe this should be translated into torah law.) Please address this issue properly.

Reply:  If he can't sue me for copying it, because the law of the land allows it, then I'm not bound by his rules. If you are trying to convince me to your logic, you need better proofs than an Artscroll.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board