Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Yakov
E-mail:  not available
Date:  8/8/2003 3:58:00 PM
Subject:  Zohar and Kaballah Center

I have seen your answer to the question about the Kaballah Center and the Zohar.

Let me relate to you a story told to me by someone:

He (a shomer Shabbat Jew) was trying to find a mikvah on Shabbat before Shacharit in L.A. in one of the Jewish neighborhoods. Since he was not from there, he did not know where to go until he met a Chasid walking who knew where there was one and they went there together. Upon leaving the Mikvah, they ran into some twenty-something New Age types (Jewish) who were coming to the Mikvah on Shabbat in their BMWs before going for a meditation class at the Kaballah Center.

The philosophy they promote there is clearly avodah zarah -- hocus pocus worship of angels and a perversion of the sefirot and the unity of Hashem's name resulting in Echad. We must publicize that any one who reads their books and follows their traditions are not following the mainstream of legitimate mekubalim like the Ari Hakadosh, Rabbi Sharabi, Rabbi Abulafia, The Baba Sali, etc.

Don't you think that we must debunk the myths surrounding Kaballah? It needs to be promoted in such a way that without combining it with traditional Torah study (Tanach, Mishnah, Gemorah, and Halachah) and observance of mitzvoth, it is clearly a perversion and cult-like religion only having some remnants in Judaism.

Just interested in the Rav's opinion.

Todah Rabah.

Reply:  Everything you said is A1, except for one point. Kabalah cannot be learned at all, until one has a comprehensive knowledge of Shas, Poskim, Shulchan Aruch, Tanach, etc... Anyone learning Kabalah prior to this, will not get a true understanding & will be going against the Torah. This is very clear in the GR"A, brought in Even Shelema, and in many other places. It is also simple logic.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board