Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Confused as usual
E-mail:  not available
Date:  4/8/2007 7:55:00 AM
Subject:  Re: Blackhat/Whitehat

In the post "Blackhat/Whitehat" the gentleman states:

"Believe me, 99% of the time there is kosher available allover the US where we all reside."

I suppose this gentleman is not aware of the thousands of miles of kosher wilderness out there where there is no access to kosher food of any kind. I suppose he thinks we should never travel outside the "areas where we live" to vacation, visit friends, or just get to see the country. Try traveling across country and finding ANY kosher restaurant from San Francisco to St. Louis. They don't exist.

During my travels, I was happy to stop at Subway and thankful you had said it was OK if you are careful about supervising their every move (change gloves, use a plastic knife, use a clean spoon, etc.). It broke up the monotony of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at the truck stop.

Reply:  I think and would like to believe that he meant well. He is from those groups, that are not as accepting as we are, of others that don't do it "our way". There are many religious sefardim who do not wear a kipah except for davening. There must be some Rabbi that said it is okay, becasue so many do it. Are they bad people? We should assume they asked their Rabbi.
Someone once said to me at a wedding, "do you always wear a black hat or just for this wedding?". I was caught off guard, but it educated me to the extent of how judgemental we have become. Real scary.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board