Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  friend
E-mail:  not available
Date:  5/2/2003 12:10:00 PM
Subject:  Early Shabbat
Message:  There was a typo in my last post. This is what I meant to say:

"Dear Rabbi Abadi:

Please forgive me for asking about this again. I asked the Rabbi of a Sephardic Shul about early Shabbat. The question I asked was

" A member of our congregation was kind enough to show me in Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's book where it says that it is a Mitzvah to take in Shabbat early, but he does NOT seem to mention
1) praying Arvit before dark,
2) praying Mincha AND Arvit both after Plag HaMincha and before sunset, and
3) if one CAN pray Arvit before dark is the reason of convenience (i.e. late dinner, tired kids, etc....) rather than the extension of Kedusha an acceptable reason. "

The answer I was provided with was
"I have read your question and there is a basis for this in the Kaf Hachaim Siman 233 Seif Katan 12 look into it all the oppinions he brings."

In this Shul, on Friday afternoon Minha is at 6:45, immediately followed by Kabbalat Shabbat and Arvit. Shabbat begins presently at 7:30 and will ultimately begin as late as 8:00. This is the practice from Pesah to Rosh Hashannah.

I am not trying to play one Rav against another.....I am sincerely trying to learn, and I do not understand how this response permits the practice.

If you could please elaborate I would be very grateful. Does this opinion permit it, or is it being misunderstood?

"

Reply:  It's a complex issue & cannot be taught on one foot. My father's Psak (halachic decision) is that one should not pray Arvit (Maariv) until after sunset.

The concept is in short that originally we say Deavad Kemar Avad, but now we always go like the Chachamim, considering sunset as the separation between Mincha & Arvit. Additionally, one cannot pray one day Mincha after Plag Hamincha & then the next day pray Arvit before sunset. That is a Tarti Desatri.

AA

Back to the Q & A Board