Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  samuel
E-mail:  not available
Date:  1/23/2006 3:52:00 PM
Subject:  Aseh lecha rav
Subject:      posken
Message:      if a person goes to one rov with a question in halacha, and receives an answer whether mekel or strict. Can that same person seek out another rov that will then give him a different answer?

Reply:      A person should pick one Rov for all his questions. This way he is guaranteed to never be wrong. When he goes up to Hashem after 120 years, he can say very confidentially, "I listened to that Rov, ask him why I did what I did, I followed what you said, 'Asei lecha rav'". CYA

Dear Rabbi CYA ,

You often mention picking 1 rav for all the questions. I was wondering where does this come from? I know it is mentioned in pirkei avot. However it is not mentioned at all in the Gemarah. This concept is also not to be found in Rambam's Yad Hazakah or Shulchan Aruch. Even Rashi on this topic (Masechet Rosh Hashana 14) says it is only when the "kulot" contradict each other…

I read somewhere a while ago that this concept of relying on a specific rav is for purposes of not becoming ba'al gaavah and that one should not make a decision when is "boded" and have someone that you can rely on when in doubt so that you do not place yourself with safeik. But it was not intended that one follows 1 rabbi all the way through .

Moreover in our era when things have become so complex and many sefarim put out on a tremendous abundance of fields and topics, it is almost impossible for 1 rav to be baki in everything. Those with expertise on issurei Shabbat, are not the most knowledgeable on " missvot ha-teluyot ba'ares" or hilchot bugs/insects. How many ravs today are really experts on business-related halachot? So it seems logical one should be able to choose different rabbis for different fields.

Can you agree with this notion?

Reply:  Absolutely not!
I'm glad you said 'almost impossible', because it is possible. It may not be easy, but it is possible. If the case arises, I would hope that the Rov that you pick is able to say, I am not well versed in this specific question, go ask ........
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board