Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  matt
E-mail:  matt_0418@yahoo.com
Date:  1/18/2006 12:04:00 AM
Subject:  Double ring ceremony
Message:  In an earlier question, the following was your response: I apologize for sending this several times, but i have yet to receive a response so perhaps it was missent.
If a woman marries with a double ring ceremony, and while the man says nothing under the chupah, but the ceremony is meant to be an exchange of rings, is the kiddushin valid? Does it matter if the woman divorces, and then wishes to marry a Kohen. (i.e. is there a reason to be makhil in that circumstance)

Reply: Can't answer something like that off the top of the head. Need concise details. Exact words said, Rabbi involved, etc.
AA

As to specifics, the chattan said the standard "harey at mekudeshet li". The kallah said nothing during the exchange. The chattan was not a shomer shabbos, and surely didn't think that there was any problem with accepting a ring under the chuppah. The Rabbi involved was a liberal rabbi in a very modern orthodox congregation. He permitted the ceremony to take place without question. Is there more information that is needed?

Reply:  It could not be a marriage according to the Torah, hence she was never married. The reason to be meikeil is to help a Jewish soul who was duped by some 'Rabbi' into thinking she was doing the right thing.

Just curious, if one wants to get married like a gentile with two rings, why have them say 'harei at... why not have him say the aleph beit gimel... I think it would be easier for the Rabbi to remember.

However, the only way to deal with this is to ask a Rabbi, because it is important to know exactly how things went down at the Chuppah. My father has allowed some women once assumed to be married, to marry a Kohen.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board