Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  yair hoffman
E-mail:  vze37jka@verizon.net
Date:  1/1/2006 1:13:00 AM
Subject:  lighting at work

Respectfully, I disagree with your statement about single people being permitted to light at their place of work.. True, we say that they are mechuyav to have a mezuzah at their place of work, but still shina is the factor here, I did not see this in your father's sefer either.. Are you sure that this is his position?

Yair Hoffman

Alot of Businesses have a minyan for minha and I see sometimes people lighting the candles for Chanukah.
Is it permissible?I remember hearing some rabbis are against it. Just want to verify

Do we say a Beracha?

Thank you
Solly H

Reply: If there is a minyan for Arbit/Maariv in a shul, then the candles should be lit there before they start, with a Beracha. If it is just a room where they make a minyan, we do not light there.
If people, who are single, are lighting for their personal Mitzva of lighting, then it is just as good to light at work and be able to light as soon as the time the mitzva is required. However, if they are married, they have to light at home.
CYA

Reply:  You gotta wait till Chelek 2 to see it inside. However, that is exactly what my father said to about seven guys and I who were standing around the Bima, talking to my father, this week. (He told me to write that when I answered it, days before we were hanging at the Bima)
As always, you are entitled to disagree. Why would you want to push off a Mitzva if you can do it now. As the old saying goes, "Why do something now if you can push it off till later".
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board