Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Dov
E-mail:  not available
Date:  12/4/2005 12:07:00 AM
Subject:  Again Mevushal . . .
CYA

Because, talmudically, mevushal is not fit for Qidush or Habdalah. The same thing goes for "yayin megule" (uncovered) or "yayin sherecho ra" (with a bad smell). Same thing goes for wine that has been mixed with honey or barley. So think about it tonight before saying a berakhah lebatalah.

Reply:      You're not saying that the many people who make Kiddush on Grape Juice are saying a berakhah lebatalah, are you? I hope not!
I know you are aware that we don't follow every Halacha that is brought down in the Talmud. We follow the Shulchan Aruch and the Poskim.
I guess, I'll assume were trying to make some point. Can you try again. We'd love to hear from you.
CYA

Let me answer part by part:

"You're not saying that the many people who make Kiddush on Grape Juice are saying a berakhah lebatalah, are you?"

My post was referring to Mevushal wine. With regard to grape juice, the Talmud only allows "yayin migito hadash" (new grape juice). This according to most opinions is no older than 40 days. Most of the grape juice that is sold in supermarkets today is much older than that. Commercial grape juice also has the additional problem of being pausterized, which makes it talmudically unfit for qidush for the reasons stated above.

So it seems that indeed people are making a berakhah lebattalah. Even AA agrees that most Jews are making vain blessings daily on their pasul tefilin and sifey torah, among other things. This is just the old story, nothing you should be surprised about . . .

"I know you are aware that we don't follow every Halacha that is brought down in the Talmud."

I am perfectly aware we do not follow every opinion in the Talmud. We only follow real Torah Law (both written and oral) and those decrees that were enacted by legitimate Sanhedrins and were accepted by the majority of the Jewish people.

"We follow the Shulchan Aruch and the Poskim."

With regard to the ShulHan Arukh, I don't know anybody who really holds by it. Most people say they follow Sh"A, but if they did, they would not wake up reciting "Mode Ani." If they follow Sh"a, they would make STA"M out of skins that are properly tanned with the traditional "'ibud ha 'or" and qalaph written on the right side. They would also eat meat that is properly slaughtered with knives that are cheked with the "bisrah" and the "tuphrah" (Yore De'ah 18:9). So let's be honest about these issues Chaim. If you really want to follow Sh"A, then do what it says.

Regarding the posqim, there you have a lot to choose from, each presenting his own version of the Law, only that if they disagree with the Great Sanhedrin, they would fall under the Din of the Zaqen Mamre, which is a major sin. To "posken" or to make a final determination on the Law today is an objective process, not a subjective one. There is a unified system of Halakhah that has been unmodified since the sealing of the Babylonian Talmud around the year 500 BCE. So, in a time like this that there is NO Sanhedrin, we are only allowed to accept pesaq based on proof and not on based man's greatness, the proof being talmudic and adhering to the substance of the law and not its spirit.

"I guess, I'll assume were trying to make some point. Can you try again. We'd love to hear from you.
CYA"

I would also love to hear from you. We are good friends! Shavua Tov!

Reply:  Okay. I guess my father is also making a Bracha L'vatala. I better tell him.
Stay in touch my friend.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board