Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Max
E-mail:  not available
Date:  11/2/2005 4:37:00 PM
Subject:  Mezuzah Eligibility
Message:  In follow up to Bob's question and your answer below:
1) If I am a rental tenant in an apartment building, what is the size of the room/closet in order to require a mezuzah?
2) I have a mezuzah on my front door. That door opens into a corridor about 2 or 3 feet wide and about 6 or 8 feet long, which then opens into a large foyer. That last opening has no doorpost or moldings, as the wall just opens outward. Does that opening need a mezuzah?
3) In between my living room and bedroom is a small area, about 3 ft x 3 ft large, with 4 doorposts. One leaves the living room, one enters the bedroom, one enters a walk in closet (about 4 ft by 4 ft, and one enters a bathroom. Does this small area need a mezuzah on the opening from the living room, or on the opening into the bedroom, or both?

Thanks for your time!

Max

------------
Author: bob
E-mail: not available
Date: 6/30/2005 6:29:00 PM
Subject: mezuzah
Message: does a walk in closet need a mezuzah if its less than 6 ft by 6 ft.
if so, which side does it go on and
do i say a bracha when putting it up?

Reply: If the room that you enter into it from is larger than 6 X 6 (or 8 X 8 for a tenant), you should put it on the right side going out of the closet. This is only for a walk-in-closet that does not lead into another room.
You do not say a Bracha.
CYA

Reply:  1) The closet needs to be a walk-in large enough that in order to exit you would normally turn around and exit the closet. Then if the room that you are then entering contains at least an 8 feet by 8 feet square, you should put up a Mezuza without nmaking a Beracha (Blessing).

2) neither need a Mezuza.

3) The one that enters the bedroom if it is a large enough bedroom, it would need a Mezuza.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board