Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Yossi
E-mail:  yossiaz@aol.com
Date:  8/9/2002 11:39:00 AM
Subject:  Mezonot Roll "Controversy"

A number of years ago, the kosher catering services that made airline meals came up with a solution to the problem of passengers not being able to wash for bread, by baking their rolls with fruit juice. Some time later, the OU and other supervision groups put an end to that by claiming that since the rolls are treated as bread, their berakha should still be Hamotzee.

Am I correct in assuming that these rolls should still be mezonot for Sepharadim? As I recall, (I don't have the Shulhan Aroukh in front of me), but the Mehaber rules (I believe in Siman 158) that as long as the taste of the juice is noticeable in the roll, it is mezonot, whereas the Rama argues that that is not sufficient but rather the juice must comprise a majority of the ingredients.
I recall that at a particular Sephardic synagogue, this solution was used in cases where non-religious people would attend a qiddush and there was little chance that they were going to wash for Hamotzee. Is this valid?

Thank you for your opinion.

Yossi

BTW The teshuva you sent me about cereal being Ha'adama was in a format that my computer couldn't recognize, so I wasn't able to see it.

Back to the Q & A Board