Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  AA
E-mail:  not available
Date:  2/27/2005 2:39:00 PM
Subject:  Shabbat Candles 2
Message:  In my recent post ( see below ), you replied that the wife at her parent's home should light [ and make the beracha ] on a light in the kitchen or dining room, " that will stay on over shabbat ".

1= Parents do not keep shabbat and will shut off all the lights before going to sleep. Do I still proceed as you instructed ?

2= At home, can I make the beracha and light a lamp that is on a timer and will go off later shabbat nite ? ( this would seem to be similar to when we used to make the beracha and light just the candles and they would go out a couple hours later -- and thus OK. Correct ? )

3= You did not address Question B ( see below ).

Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Author: AA
E-mail: not available
Date: 2/23/2005 8:23:13 PM
Subject: Shabbat Candles
If a married woman is visitng her parents for shabbat, and she has her own room, but does not want to light there ( neither a candle for safety reasons, nor a lamp because it disturbs her sleep ), what does she do as far as lighting ?

1= Light where her mom lights ?
2= Skip it and fulfills her obligation with her mother's candle lighting ?

Question B:
How about a husband whose wife is away, and he is staying with a friend -- does he light also, or does he fulfill his obligation with his host's candle lighting ? ( the guest is staying in the living room )

This is for this coming shabbat 2-25-05; thank you for the answer.

Reply: Sorry about the timing
1. Turn on a light in the kitchen or dining room that will stay on over Shabbos.
2. don't skip it, it is a Mitzva.
CYA

Reply:  1 & 2 no problem - the lights were on when necessary.
B. Sorry about that.
Wherever a person is for Shabbos, they should make sure there is light. If someone in the house is lighting you don't have to light. A person can light with a Beracha, if they light in a spot where light is needed. Those that light candles in a spot where there is regular electric light already, they should turn that light on at the same time they are lighting the candles.
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board