Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  dave
E-mail:  rabbidw@cs.com
Date:  2/27/2005 8:01:00 AM
Subject:  coloring on Shabat.
Message:  This is not a question of who is right. Your son, of course asked a Rov. So, he must follow his Rov. If he didn't ask his Rov, he should.

He did not ask a Rov. He relied on a work called the 39 melachos, in 3 or 4 volumes. I do not see why coloring water should be different than making chocolate milk, and I do not know the author of 39 melachos, so I call it a work, rather than a sefer. Do you know anything about this work, or the author? What do you think of a person using a book to pasken his own shailos?
In fairness to my son, he says that people in his neighborhood have made this the latest local chumrah and he is not going to fight the mob. DW

Reply:  I do not know who wrote that. However, a person will only get confused by following different opinions for different things. The best way, is to just follow one Rov.
If your son is uncomfortable in his neighborhood because of this "chumrah", he is mistaken. He should be proud of the fact that he follows his Rov (whomever he may be)L'kula & L'chumrah. I'm sure, his Rov has some chumrahs, that the people in his community are lenient on.
A person should never use any sefer or book to pasken their own shailos. (Rav Moshe says that in his sefer Igros Moshe, in reference to his own sefer.) They should ask a Rov. If that person feeels that he is able to pasken his own shailos, then I have no question, he isn't following just one "book".
CYA

Back to the Q & A Board