Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  Renee
E-mail:  not available
Date:  1/27/2005 9:47:00 AM
Subject:  Mikvoth
Message:  A Syrian Rabbi from Buenos Aires showed me a picture of a nifty 1100$ fiberglass basin with built in steps. (I think they are sold on the internet too).

When the crime and Anti Semitism in Buenos Aires got really dangerous and women could not safely go out to use the mikvah at night, I was told that one of these nifty do-dads was put in the basement of every apartment building in Buenos Aires.

This particular Rabbi could not understand why it was so difficult to use a mikve in the US and why every little cul-de-sac where Jews lived did not have a mikveh.

I have also been told by elderly women from Egypt and Syria that in these countries, where it was also not safe for women to go out at night, every courtyard had a mikveh.

One thing I remember about New Jersey, that we don't have here in Miami, is basements!!!!! They were good for so many things, like rec rooms, home offices, storing junk and maybe even MIKVOTH!!!

What better "homeowners" insurance than a mikveh in the basement!! If you are lucky enough to have a bathroom in the basement and it is clean, you are way ahead of the game. During the day, you can be the envy of your neighbors who will want to bring their pots over Erev Pesah. Erev Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, you will also have lots of new friends too, just tell them to bring their own towels.

Reply:  Great idea. There are baptistries that can easily be made into a Mikveh. Then you can avoid all the issues.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board