Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  dweck
E-mail:  dweck2@walla.co.il
Date:  1/18/2005 3:59:00 AM
Subject:  Yashan III
Message:  Message:      "Message: What is your take on Yachan?
Is it applicable in outside of Erets Yisrael? (BaH)
Reply: Yashan is barely a problem today, because it is uncommon to really know the date the grain that is in your product was actually grown. AA "

Rabbi, This is a thorny issue because I learned that most rishonim hold that it is de-oreitah in chuz-la'artez as well. The real problem is in the scandianavian countries ! I asked few of the kashruth places if they check for Yashan in imported beer from Scandinavia and they basically told me it is too much bother to monitor this situation so they "let it go"....

Reply:      Yes, it is De'Oraita, but you forgot too see the Ram"a, which is surprising because it is right there in Shulchan Aruch. Look again. That'll take the thorn out of it. He shows us how it is a Safek-Sefeka, which is permitted. AA

-----------------------------------------------------

Of course I read the Ram"a , but e are sefardim and I thought we must follow Maran. I understand that we can not pick & choose
Like going with non-glatt mean and eating rice on pessach. So the story on Yashan in this case?

Reply:  It isn't a question of a Machloket (argument). Everyone agrees with how you treat a Safek-Sefeka. The Ram"a was also a big Talmid Chacham. Today we have a Safek-Sefeka.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board