Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  sammy
E-mail:  not available
Date:  1/2/2005 6:20:00 AM
Subject:  veganism
Subject:      veganism

I have been a long time vegan. I came to my beliefs because of my Jewish and Tora upbringing.

G-d's original diet for humanity is veganism. If I'm not mistaken, there are opinions (taking the prophesy in Yeshia of the Wolf lying down with the lamb in a more literal way that other commentaries) that in the time of Moshiah the world will again be vegan. This is my belief.

It is also my belief (though I guess none of us will know for sure until that time arrives) that in the time of Moshiah all the sacrifices (including the korban Pesah) will be of a vegetation nature.

Debbie

Reply:      Are you insinuating that when Moshiah will come, he will change the Torah. Or the slaughtering of animals and birds in the Torah are "of a vegetation nature".
Go ahead, eat as much green as you want. I'm not telling you to eat meat, but PLEASE!
Changing what the Torah says can be a very bad habit. The Tzedukim did it, the Conservative and Reform do it all the time, in order to meet their needs.
(Many people have to be vegans in order to survive in the non-Jewish world or in their non-religious homes. That is very understandable and commendable. I'm not talking about them)
CYA

I just to raise an issue regarding the comment that " that in the time of Moshiah all the sacrifices (including the korban Pesah) will be of a vegetation nature.".

There is one or two rishonim who claimed exactly this. In the Achronim HaRav Kook z"tzl and Haham Haim David Halevi also held this view (See Mekor Hayim). HaRav Kook brought few proofs including the verse that "Ve"a"ravah LHashem minchat yehuda Veyushalaim Ke-yemeh Olam U-che-shanim Kadmonoiot". The Mincha which a veg. type offering will be offered during Mashiach time.

Reply:  Let us face the reality of the issue. Any restrictions added to the actual Torah laws is strictly prohibitted.

If a person wants to eat specific foods for personal health reasons, that is wonderful. But if a person has a belief in a issue of morals and ethics that is not agreed to by the Torah, then that is wrong, both morally and logically. The Ramba"m (Shemonah Perakim) says that he who does not understand this is certainly a fool. Enough said then.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board