Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  jay
E-mail:  not available
Date:  12/27/2004 7:35:00 PM
Subject:  FRIDAY NIGHT SHAYLES
1. SOME FRIDAY NIGHTS I GO TO SHUL SOMETIMES NOT. BUT EVEN IF I DO GO TO SHUL, FRIDAYS ARE SHORT, AND I AM NOT HUNGRY ENOUGH TO SIT DOWN AND EAT A MEAL...

DO I HAVE TO EAT THE MEALAS SOON AFTER SHABES STARTS? CAN I WAIT? HOW LONG CAN I WAIT?
CAN I NOSH OR SNACK IF I JUST MAKE KIDDUSH,WITHOUT KIDDUSH? DO I HAVE TO DAVEN MAARIV BEFORE KIDDUSH.

AND CAN I WAIT A SERIOUS AMOUNT OF TIME
BETWEEN KIDDUSH AND MOTZI AND THE MEAL..ALL THIS IS TAKING PLACE IN THE SAME DINING ROOM

#2WHEN WE LEAVE THE HOUSE SHABES MORNING THE DINING ROOM TABLE IS CLEARED OFF, THE BEDS ARE MADE, BUT OFTEN WE RUN IN ON THESE SHORT FRIDAYS JUST BEFORE SHABES STARTS, AND DUMP EVERYTHING OUT OF THE CAR--MOSTLY GROCERIES AND NEWSPAPERS--IN THE HALLWAY AS WE RUN IN...

CAN WE PICK THIS STUFF UP AND PUT IT AWAY AFRTER SHABES HAS STARTED?

3. JUST TO BE CAREFUL, WE LIGHT SHABES CANDLES WITHOUT A BRAACHAH AS SOON AS WE COME IN, AND HAVE IN MIND NOT TO BE MEKABEL SHAABES WITH THIS, AND THEN DAVEN MINCHE,,,IS THIS WRONG?

AND IN GENERAL IF WE FORGET TO MAKE THE BRACHAH WHEN LIGHTING THE CANDLES, CAN WE MAKE THE BRACHAH LATER ON DURING SHABES IN FROM OF THE LIT CANDLES(WE ARE ASHKENAZIM:WE MAKE THE BROCHEH AFTER LIGHTING THE CANDLES

THANK YOU. I KNOW YOU WILL TELL ME THE DIN, NOT WHAT PEOPLE JUST GOSSIP TO EACH OTHER

Reply:  1) Eat when you are ready to eat. After you make Kiddush you can eat. You can pray Arbit/Maariv before or after the meal, just make sure to have someone or note to remember.

2) No problem.

3) Make the Berachah on the electric lights since that is what really provides the light. You can light candles, you don't have to. If you forget the Berachah, do not make it later. It isn't the end of the world. The Mitzvah was done if the room is not dark. The Berachah was lost. Try getting Shabbat started twenty minutes earlier than normal and you won't have high blood pressure....
AA

Back to the Q & A Board