Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  hidden from view
E-mail:  not available
Date:  12/26/2004 10:24:00 AM
Subject:  Kiddush etc.
Message:  2. What is the deal with holding the cup in the palm of one's hand? Is this obligatory? Preferable? Or to be ignored?

Reply:
2) Usually done by those who don't follow most other actual laws. If God wanted us to follow his Mitzvot, he would have made them like this one.
AA

-----------------

Why so much anger and condescension? It's so simple. In yeshiva I learned Mishna Berurah. No it wasn't with all Shas and Rishonim. No I'm not a gaon. But he wrote that al pi kabbalah it's a good idea to hold the cup in the palm with the fingers up. Is it an obigation? No, I suppose not. I can understand your father telling people not to worry about such kabbala-based practices because it just adds headaches for those not on the level yet. But why did you have to insult me and thousands of other observant Jews in the process?

Aaron, you're much nicer on the phone, when you return phone calls (and in person too I'm sure). Why do you have to be so nasty online? Not for a second will I believe that your father approves of THAT!

Reply:  Why all that anger towards my resentment?

"al pi kabbalah"

Those are the key words. They mean from a Kabbalistic source it was determined to be beneficial to do.....
That is my exact point. Most people have a long way to go in order to keep the basic requirements, yet when it will look "holy" to everyone watching them, they become the most pious holy Chasid.
The Mesilat Yesharim is built upon the levels a person should attain in a sequential order. His entire section on Chasidut & Prishut is this exact point.

In regards to my being "so nasty online," that is a matter of opinion. If you look at some Teshuvot from all our previous Rabbis, you will see that I am a calm quiet pleasant speaking Jew in comparison; specifically when it comes to opposing views and actions contrary to the Torah. Often when I ask my father on certain postings if I was too harsh, he responds that I was not harsh enough.

Your decision that "Not for a second will I believe that your father approves..." is based on a feeling, your feeling that this is not right. But in Judaism we follow Halachah (Jewish Law). Sometimes it coincides with our feelings and at other times it does not. You need to prove from Jewish Law that something is right or wrong, not from feelings. If you want to show me that I am wrong, I am certainly willing to listen. If you prove me wrong, I will admit my mistake and apologize publicly.

AA

Back to the Q & A Board