Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  A different Ben
E-mail:  not available
Date:  12/24/2004 2:12:00 PM
Subject:  a higher standard
Message:  You've said in other responses "don't judge Judaism by the actions of every Jew" or something to that general effect.

A few days ago I ordered a camera online from a NYC camera shop. I knew immediately it was run by "frum" Jews since the site indicated that the store closed at 2:30P on Fridays and reopened 6:30-9:30 on Saturday nights.

Now, I was suspicious to begin with because the camera I ordered was being sold for $50 less than even Amazon.com. But the site looked professional and it indicated "in stock" so I bought it.

Today I get an email from them can I please call them about my order. Well net-net they have no intention of selling me the camera unless I buy other highly marked up accessories. When I decline the accessories suddenly the camera is backordered for 6 weeks. Of course I canceled the order entirely.

I know this is not an uncommon story. And I know that business in general, especially discount retail can be pretty sleazy regardless of the religion of its proprietors.

I happen to believe that any Jew involved in this sort of business would find themselves ahead of the game with God if they got out of that business and instead ate ham sandwiches and went to the movies on shabbat. At least their actions would only affect themselves.

When non-religious Jews see this kind of merchant it makes them not want to be Jewish. Believe me I know because I have been there. And as for non-Jews when they see it, well it just reinforces all the worst stereotypes they might already have about us.

Well, I just had to get that off my chest. And to all those pseudo-frum who think they can rip people off by day and then make up for it with how fast they shuckle or how many hechshers they won't accept, stop deluding yourself. And at the very least, please take off your kipah, tuck in your tzitzit. You're giving the rest of us a bad name.

There, I feel better!

Reply:  You said it!
AA

Back to the Q & A Board