Q & A Board - View Post

Author:  E
E-mail:  not available
Date:  12/20/2004 3:08:00 PM
Subject:  mikveh
Message:  I have recently started going to the mikveh. The mikveh lady told me that i do not have to open my eyes underwater. If this is true, why do I need to take my contact lenses out?
Without being able to see, I don't really feel like I've purified myself. I would feel much better about the mitzvah if I kept my lenses in.

Reply:  Excellent question!
The Talmud discusses this exact issue. The answer is that the way these laws were created the requirement is that the water can reach everywhere, even though in reality it will never go everywhere. People are people. They still have folds, double chins, eyelids, and so on. The key is to be capable to reach everywhere.

If you were to wear your lenses it would not be the end of the world, but proper Halachah requires them to be removed.

Don't worry about "feeling" purified. There is no such thing. You need to go to the Mikveh. You go and you did your job. You are hereby purified.

You asked a question that showed that your thinking is on target. Keep asking questions. That is how you will learn.
AA

Back to the Q & A Board